There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Guidelines in Brief
- Rascal reads between May 1st and September 1st.
- Submit 1-4 poems (up to 6 pages), 1-10 photos / visual artworks, or 1 essay of up to 10,000 words.
- Submissions must be original, unpublished work; work posted on social media is accepted.
- Translations accepted for poetry only; permission must be obtained prior to submitting.
- Essays should be on topics of ecology, non-dualism, or poetics (appreciations or craft-talk).
- We want work that steals the breath out of your mouth, punches you in the gut, or both.
- We have soft spots for topics of attention, affection, ecology, animals, non-dualism and poetics.
- Art for art's sake that loses sight of coherence makes us yawn and turn the page.
- If the work makes you love, whether in passion, compassion, anger or ecstasy, submit.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome; notify us asap if accepted elsewhere.
- Authors / artists are paid $20 per acceptance for poetry, photography and visual art.
- Essayists are paid $0.02 per word.
- An acceptance usually consists of 1-2 poems, 2-5 photographs, or 2-3 pieces of visual art.
- We acquire first serial electronic rights, and rights to reprint in digital and physical anthologies.
- In the cover letter field, say something refreshing and Include a 50-200 word bio.
- Wait at least four months between submissions.
- We publish on a rolling basis, closing issues on the vernal and autumnal equinoxes.
- Response time ranges from a few days to six months, usually on the lower end of that spectrum.
- See Rascal Submissions for full guidelines.